Saturday, March 21, 2009

Very Proud Of This Teenager

I have been following a blog for quite some time. It is a blog that is written by a teenage girl with Down Syndrome and her mother. I stand in awe of all that this girl has accomplished in life. She has Down Syndrome and other medical conditions. After the disrespectful comment that President Obama made on the Jay Leno show the other night, she wrote a very great letter that I hope he somehow sees. You can see her blog at www.sarahely8989.blogspot.com

I invite you to read the top 2 posts, the top one is a very special man who loves bowling and the second is Sarah's letter to our President.

It hurts me that our President feels it is okay to make fun of the Special Olympics and the people who participate. The special people who participate in these events try very hard to compete. I am not ashamed to admit that the participants could beat me any day of the week in any of the sports.

I know that everyone makes mistakes and our leaders are not immune to this. However, I still think it is in bad taste to compare ones self in a joking matter to people who have to work very hard to do even the most simple of tasks.

I think the Special Olympics is a absolutely wonderful sporting event and when Kevin and I become the proud parents of a child with Down Syndrome, I pray with all my might that our child may one day participate in this event.

No comments:

Post a Comment