Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cody's Birth

Finally a moment to sit down...
I was scheduled to be induced Friday June 26th at 6am. However, Wednesday night I could not sleep due to back pain, horrible headache and couldn't keep anything down. Everything I tried to eat on Thursday refused to stay down including liquid. So, I called my Ob's office but Thursday is his day off. I went to the hospital and they put me in l&d and I was admitted as soon as they saw that my blood pressure was 190 something/ 100 something. (cannot remember the exact number) they gave me a blood pressure medication in pill form and it didn't do anything, so they started injecting me with a liquid bp medication thru my iv. My blood pressure would only go down to 160 something/100 something and would not stay down. So, after checking my blood for the clotting factor (due to my heparin use) my blood was still too thin to induce labor. So, a few hours later they checked me again and my blood was okay and so around 9pm they started the pitocin. I was not happy about this at all because I only wanted my ob to deliver Cody. I told them that I did not want to deliver unless my ob was there so they did start the pitocin on a very slow drip. I was dilated to a 3 when I got the epidural because the pain was making my blood pressure go even higher. However, the epidural kind of fizzed out a few hours later and I could feel everything so the anesthesiologist came back and gave me more of whatever it is you get in the iv. Long story short, my water broke at 9 cm and I got to 10 pretty quickly- however, my ob was still in surgery upstairs so we didn't start pushing until closer for him to be out of surgery. After about an hour of pushing my sweet little bug was born. My ob was only there for the last 15-20 minutes before Cody was born and once his head came out his shoulders immediately followed. No episiotomy and just 2 tears that had to be stitched. Everyone that was there (me, Kevin, my mom, my sil Jenny & my sister Jess) all cried when we heard his cry and that cry lasted at least the first 30 minutes of his life. My dad, my uncle James, my brother, my niece, my nephew, family friend Louie & Kevin's brother Steve were all out in the hall and said that they all knew the minute Cody was born because you could hear him up and down the hall, lol. Since I hadn't had anything to eat in 2 days Cody's blood sugar was down a bit so I had to feed him a bit of formula and then have his blood sugar checked again- it was fine in all the follow up checks. His body temp was also a little low so I had to do skin to skin with him under my gown for a bit as well. (body temp was never low again, just right after birth since I held him for about 20 or so minutes before they took him to clean, weigh, measure and whatever else they had to do in the room with us) He weighed 5lb 15oz and was 19 3/4 inches long. His hair was light brown and he continues to resemble his mom. He does have daddy's complexion though but everything else is mom at this point. Amazing as it is we did not need the neonatal team that was on call for his birth due to my high risk status. My blood pressure is still up a bit but not nearly as much as it was during and following his birth. I was kept in l&d and not moved to post partum until Saturday evening because they were scared that my bp would possibly cause a seizure and needed a nurse just for me. Saturday evening I was able to move to post partum and I have to say the bed was a lot more comfortable. I was released from the hospital Sunday evening and was very thankful- had to promise my ob that I would take the bp medication 3 times a day. Bug is doing absolutely amazing and is incredibly beautiful. (yes, I know everyone thinks that about their children) He amazed his pediatrician and the nurses because he will lift and hold his head up when he is being burped and when just sitting against your shoulder. He has been doing this since birth. He is my strong little bug :O) The only problem we have is that he falls asleep during feeding and we have to continue to wake him up so that he will eat. Also, he was breast feeding like a champ in the hospital, but Monday morning at about 4am when he was up to eat my milk had "come in" and I was engorged and he couldn't latch on and he was hungry, hungry so I gave him a bottle that the hospital sent us home with and since then he does not want to feed at the breast- just a bottle. We are working on that, but in the mean time I am using a breast pump and feeding it to him in a bottle. That is it for now- have to go take care of my sweet little bug. These pictures were all taken today


  1. Congrats! Babies are a blessing and this was a wonderful event for your family.

  2. Christy,
    He is perfect! I love the picture where he is yawning.:)


  3. Christy & Kevin,

    We are all so happy for you.. Cody is adorable..Enjoy every minute with your little bug..

    Sending hugs to you~Jody~

  4. Congratulations, Christy. I'm so happy for you. He is adorable!!